Thursday, May 14, 2009

Jacaranda!




It's Jacaranda time in LA. One of my favourite times of the year. Although I had a horrible boss once called Jack so I prefer to call them Jimerandas (Jack-The-Boss often "forgot" to pay me and then fired me when I got a nasty dose of strep throat.). If you fly into LA this time of year and look down there are an abundance of lilac spots - all the jimerandas. I have planted one in my back-yard but apparently they take a few years to flower. All I've been getting is large, crusty brown pod-thingies. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for flowers next year.

I looked them up on the interweb and it says they are native to Central and South America, the Caribbean and Mexico. I guess we're pretty much classified as Mexico here. In Zimbabwe they are a welcome sign of Spring!

No comments: